Hurricane season runs from June 1 to November 30 each year. However, it seems like these storms seem to affect the Carolinas the most from mid-summer to early fall. We tend to think that the coastal areas of South Carolina and North Carolina suffer the most when hurricanes hit. This is true, but the Rock Hill and Lancaster areas have felt the effects of these storms more than once. Hurricane Hugo is the most obvious example, but high winds, flooding, and strong thunderstorms have occurred in our area as a result of other storms as they moved inland. All of this means it’s time to get your home ready in case severe weather hits this hurricane season.
According to the Department of Homeland Security, there are several things you can do to prepare your property in case a hurricane comes your way:
- Make sure all parts of your gutter system are safely attached to your home. This includes the gutters themselves as well as the downspouts. You should also make sure your gutters are free from leaves, pine needles, and any other debris.
- Inspect your roof, windows, and doors for damage that can be repaired before a storm hits. Don’t forget to do the same for your garage doors.
- If you have a vacation property at the beach, consider adding a storm shelter. These specially designed areas can be built to FEMA specifications to protect you and your family from high winds and flooding.
- Look around your property for trees that are dead, damaged, or diseased. If you can’t safely do the trimming or removal work yourself, contact a professional tree service to help.
- Consider buying a generator to power your home if there’s an electricity outage. Be aware that generators are typically are in short supply when a hurricane is predicted to make landfall. Generators are also useful when there are power outages due to routine thunderstorms and severe winter weather.
A residential home improvement contractor like Champion Services can help you repair your home after a hurricane hits. But we can also help you prepare your home before bad weather hits. If you need repairs for your roofing, siding, gutters, or windows, call us today for a free estimate. Our experienced staff can help you and your home weather the storm.